A few posts ago I posted about my daily skin care routine. I want to share a few other skin care favorites that aren’t used daily.
1. Mary Kay Microdermabrasion Step 1 Refine: This is a great exfoliant that uses alumina oxide crystals to buff out pores and slough off dead skin. The crystals are perfectly round. Be careful with scrubs made of fruit pits because they can scratch the skin with jagged edges.
2. Philosophy Oxygen Peel Mask: This is a 2 step mask that leaves my skin feeling really refreshed and clean. You first empty the catalase enzyme capsule into warm water and shake it to create a gel like mask. Put it on the cover it with the oxygen foam. Wait a few minutes then use the spatula to remove the foam (if you have sensitive skin rinse with soft cloth). It helps to detox the skin and clear up clogged pores. I like it because you only leave it on for a few minutes versus a standard mask you leave on for about 10. I can do this one in the morning while getting ready for work.
3. Cellular Laboratories De-Aging Eye Cream: This is a new product I have had for a few weeks. I have already noticed a difference in the dark circles under my eyes! It’s very hydrating but light weight.
4. Lumiere De Vie Volcanic Exfoliating Mask: This clay mask has an AHA complex to helps exfoliate the top layer of skin and it’s great for oil control. My skin feels softer and looks brighter after rinsing this mask off. You do have to rinse very well as the pumice particles like to stick to the skin.
5. Shiseido Urban Environment Oil Free UV Protection: I really like that this sunscreen is very lightweight and my skin doesn’t react to it. It’s broad spectrum and great for daily use. It is a little difficult to rub in, leaving a slightly pasty look and you have to wait awhile between applying this and putting on foundation primer. In all honesty, I don’t love it but I don’t hate it. Some primers will interact with the sunscreen and cause it to pill but I have used Motives Perfecting Face Primer and that seems to work well. I am open to sunscreen recommendations!
I’m back! I know I have neglected this blog for a few months now. I could go into a long list of all the things that kept me away, but really it just comes down to not making the time to keep up with consistent posts. Over the next few months a lot of changes will be coming to the blog in small pieces. The most immediate will be a transition from being a makeup blog to being a general lifestyle blog. While I LOVE makeup, I have so many other passions and things that I am interested in exploring and what better place to do it than this blog?! So, follow along, share your thoughts and enjoy!
What better way to kick off a new beginning than to share my daily skin care routine? My skin has always been a challenge. It’s super oily and blemish prone. When I was in California I had a great routine using Mary Kay products. Their TimeWise line is seriously fantastic! It’s a gentle anti-aging line that is made for your skin type. When I moved to Hawaii last year, my skin went haywire, to put it mildly. It took me almost 9 months to find a routine that worked for me! In the meantime my face took a nostalgic turn down memory lane through high school where I was plagued by deep, cystic type breakouts. Not fun at my age, or any age for that matter!
I start with Boots No 7 Beautiful Skin Foaming Cleanser. I like this because it is a basic cleanser that doesn’t leave any residue, you can find it at Target for around $8. In all honesty, there are a ton of cleansers out there that claim to do a million and one things but a cleanser only stays on your skin for a small amount of time. Typically this small amount of time does not allow for these claims to take any effect so I don’t bother spending my money on it.
Second, I take off any eye makeup residue. I use my cleanser to get the majority of my makeup off but there is still sometimes leftover residue. My favorite removers are Mary Kay Oil Free Makeup Remover and Lancome BI-FACIL Double Action Eye Makeup Remover.
Ole Henriksen has become a favorite over the past few months. I use two of their serums along with their moisturizer. In the morning I use Truth Serum Vitamin C Collagen Booster. Vitamin C is great for collagen which keeps your skin nice and young looking. Its’s full of antioxidants and nourishing to your skin as well. In the evening I use Invigorating Night Treatment. It’s a gel serum that helps with natural cell turnover to keep skin nourished and bright. The AHA Complex also helps keep my skin nice and smooth. Sheer Transformation is the moisturizer I use. It’s oil free, light weight, and has licorice and vitamin C to help even skin tone.
Overall my skin is smooth with very few breakouts now. You might have noticed that there isn’t a sunscreen in my list. I haven’t found a daily sunscreen that doesn’t break me out. I have a small amount of sunscreen in my foundation and I am inside a lot. However, when I know I am going to be out in the sun at the beach or wherever, I use CeraVe SPF 50 Sunscreen Face Lotion. It’s zinc oxide based and does a great job at protecting my skin but when I try to wear it daily I break out in baby acne everywhere. I am on the hunt for a good daily protectant and will share when I find one!
What are some of your favorite skin care products?!