So maybe we call this series Every Other Friday 5… In all honesty I go through bouts of being super motivated and feeling really creative coupled with times where this blog doesn’t even cross my mind for days at a time. I think the key will be to really grab those creative times and pre-write a ton. So, here we go!
September’s Friday Five will be all about Instagram! I love Instagram. In a world where time is short, I love the quick access I have to friends and family along with fellow bloggers, fashionistas, makeup artists, and more. I will say that I do not love the new non-chronological feed and I have always loathed the auto-refresh but otherwise it’s a great platform. Also, IG Stories! I have always pushed off Snapchat but I have to say IG Stories are SO FUN!
Anyway…this week I am sharing my favorite make up ladies on Instagram! It was really hard to narrow it down to just five but here they are in no particular order:
- @maskcara: she has a great mix of makeovers, makeup tips, and life.
- @lindahallbergs: her makeup trusted is amazing!
- @vivianmakeupartist: I like to think of her style as natural glam. It’s gorgeous!
- @makeupbytiffanyd: she mostly does reviews on her YouTube channel but her previews and style are always film to follow.
- @anissamakeup: I’ve been following her for awhile. Her makeup has always been great but I’ve watched her style become more sophisticated.
Who are some of your favorites?
…is (rose) gold! I went to Ulta looking for something else* and they were having a GWP for their Ulta line of cosmetics. I am a SUCKER for free stuff. Especially when you have to spend money to get it, apparently! I took a look at the selection and it was so picked over half of the shelves were empty. I was about to leave empty handed when I came across this on my way out-it was in the wrong place!
Aren’t the colors SO pretty?! I love these colors and they are neutral enough they can be worn with almost anything. The liner above is Ulta’s liner in Raisin. It did not come with the palette but it has been a nice complement. The brush that did come with it is super soft and I have been loving it.
Using MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Soft Ochre as a base
Prosecco, Hopeless Romantic, Dessert and Prosecco, Chandelier, Sweetheart are my two favorite combinations for a quick everyday look.
I have not used a lot of Ulta brand products. Firstly, because I typically shop Sephora (I prefer their selection and Beauty Insider program) and secondly I just always thought of their line as ‘drugstore’ quality. Basically I see Ulta as Walmart while Sephora is Target. Anyway…
As for the quality, it’s pretty much what I expected. There is a lot of fallout and not a lot of pigment but I am still loving this palette. I was really surprised at how long the color lasted. I posted a picture the other day on Instagram. I was in a hurry and accidentally skipped eye primer. The color is still there and the creasing is minimal. I can create a really soft and pretty look that makes me feel feminine and put together that will last. Plus, another win for this palette was that it was only $20. Other brands will run at least twice as much for a similar product. It is also a GREAT palette for beginner makeup wearers. It provides some nice versatility, won’t break the bank, and because the pigment is light it’s easy to use.
Keep an eye on my Instagram for pictures of me wearing these shades over the next few weeks! @lovelypinkglitter
*I am looking for a dupe to Clinique’s Intense Black Honey eyeliner. I LOVE the color but I do not love the super soft formula. If you know of anything in this color that might work, post in the comments please! I’ve checked out all brands at Sephora, the Ulta line, and NYX. Thanks!
Did you know Sephora has a subscription box?! Well, they do and it is awesome! It’s called Play! By Sephora. The monthly box is themed and includes 5 deluxe samples along with a fragrance bonus. It is only $10 (plus tax) and there are so many perks to being a subscriber. The box comes with a ‘cheat sheet’ with a summary of each product and how to use it. You get a Play! pass that gives you an in-store tutorial and an additional 50 Beauty Insider points with any purchase. They also have a sub-site, sephora.com/play, that includes video tutorials along with additional tips and tricks. I have to say they really put a lot into this.
I’ve gotten 3 boxes so far and I have to say that I love them. I am going to share with you my favorite items from each box. The first item is something i have already tried and love so it never hurts to get more and the second is a new discovery that I have on my “full size wish list” after receiving it in my box.
May: The Forces of Nature
- BRIOGEO Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask: After using this, my hair was full and soft without being weighed down or greasy. I had already tried this from an Ipsy bag awhile back and love it. I was really excited to get this again.
- KORRES Wild Rose + Vitamin C Advanced Brightening Sleeping Facial: I am typically very wary of trying new skin care items but I have fallen in love with this. It’s a creamy consistency and leaves my skin feeling fresh and looking bright.
June: The Minimalists
- BENEFIT COSMETICS They’re Real! Lengthening & Volumizing Mascara: The name says it all. I have a handful of favorite mascaras and this is one of them.
- BECCA Backlight Priming Filter: I was worried this would make my skin look shiny in a bad way but it actually brightens. It feels really light too. My go to is Benefit POREfessional but I may just add this into my rotation
July: Effortless Summer
- BEAUTY BLENDER Blotterazzi by Beauty Blender: these super soft oil absorbing pads are great on the go. I love that it’s reusable and washable so I no longer have crumpled up lotting sheets floating around in the bottom of my purse. The full size comes with 2 blotters in a case with a mirror. I don’t leave home without them!
- FIRST AID BEAUTY Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay: As with May’s box I am typically hesitant to try out new skin care. Right after this box came I ran out of my Arbonne cleanser that I have been really liking. I hadn’t been paying attention so I didn’t re-order it in time. Anyway, I used this for a few days and saw less black heads and smaller pores! It’s kind of slimy feeling but otherwise I really liked the results of this cleanser.
Augusts box is called “The Eye Openers.” I hope the new Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream is there!
Go to sephora.com/play to sign up for your own box! I believe there is a waitlist, and I have no clue how long it is but I promise it’s worth the wait.